My Laptop Was Stolen From My Car, Does My Insurance Cover That?

It doesn’t matter if it is a laptop, a purse, golf clubs, or anything else you own, your auto insurance in Ontario does NOT cover any personal property stolen from inside your car; However, it would be covered under your home, condo, or renters insurance policy.



Somebody broke your car window and stole the laptop you had on the passenger seat. Here is how the claim would be handled by your insurance company.


Car Insurance Coverage

Your car insurance will cover the broken window and any other damage to your vehicle caused by the break-in. This is covered under the Comprehensive section of your insurance policy which covers fire, theft, vandalism and windshield damage claims.


Home Insurance Coverage

The Contents Coverage section of your home, condo or renters insurance policy covers everything you own, up to the set contents limit on your policy, against theft anywhere in the world. This means that whether your property is stolen from inside your home, from a hotel room on vacation, or from the inside of your car, your home insurance covers the the theft of your property.


The Claim

As you can see from the information above, this would end up being two separate claims:

  1. Auto claim for the damage to your car. Don’t worry though, these types of claims (fire, theft, vandalism and windshield damage) can never be used against you when determining your yearly premium.
  2. Home claim for the property stolen. Unlike the auto claim though, any home insurance claim (even when they are not your fault) can be held against you when determining your yearly premium.

In the next “Does My Insurance Cover That” post, we’ll talk about how the deductible plays a role in your decision to put a claim in to your insurance company.